Marcus shared the image to the right from the Google Play store, with Messenger boasting the 1 billion downloads badge, and he wrote in a Facebook post:
Happy to make it to the very exclusive Android 1 billion+ downloads club.
The Messenger team has been busy of late, with new features including:
- The ability to create and send maps in order to share locations, introduced last week.
- An update to payments via Messenger and the extension of the feature to the New York metropolitan area, announced last month.
- Providing contextual information on first-time senders, which also debuted in May.
- Last month’s global expansion of video calling via Messenger.
- The rollout of a Web version of Messenger in April.
- The debut of Messenger Platform at F8 in March.
Android users: Are you one of the 1 billion-plus who have installed Messenger on your devices?